Hereford is evil. Hereford is gruesome. Hereford is terrifying. Hereford is hell. These are just some of the things you will hear about the Hereford cross-country course. The course is the host of the Maryland state cross-country meet and the world famous Bull Run. Most knowledgeable high school runners and coaches considered Hereford to be the “toughest 3 miles in cross-country.”
Being a former runner from Hereford I take great pride in hearing outsiders smite my home course. But I’m not the only one. Every year, the whole community of Hereford is buzzing about Bull Run. Many come to the school to watch the races. Nearly all of them bring a cow bell to clang as the runners go by.
In years past there have been attempts to move the state meet because parking had become a serious problem. But once the community got wind of this they did their part to save the “Hills of Hereford.” Several businesses now allow their parking lots to be used. And most notably, the farmer that lives across from the high school opens up two of his fields for spectator parking.
The course is not only important to the community but to the runners as well. As the state meet approaches, some teams commute to the Hereford Zone so they can better prepare themselves. Upon completing the course, the runners will feel exhausted, nauseous, lightheaded, and disoriented; but they will also feel something else, pride.
word count: 242
I used to run track in high school, do you run for UMBC now?
ReplyDeleteI love your first paragraph. Why should this course be saved? I think the parking problem solutions got in the way of your thesis.
ReplyDeletevery cool...i never thought a place to run could be so meaningfuly
ReplyDeleteI like how you show how involved the community is in this place.
ReplyDeleteHow long has it been around? If it were moved, where would it go?
I love the awesome first paragraph! I can feel that you are really proud of Hereford from your words.
ReplyDeleteWow. Hereford sounds interesting. Think I might go there one of these days.
ReplyDelete